Sweet potato stuffed poblano peppers
We bought some poblano poppers at the market Saturday morning. I haven’t really cooked with them before so I googled “poblano pepper recipe” and noticed a number of recipes that used sweet potatoes – and we just happened to have some sweet potatoes lying around! So I went to it.
1) Heat oven to 500F. Put peppers in oven for 15 minutes, turning once (I used a cast iron skillet). When the peppers are all bubbly take them out and throw them in a paper bag for 30 minutes. We used 5 medium sized peppers.
2) Peel and cut up two sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Boil. Put in a bowl and lightly mash them.
3) In a skillet, sweat 3 or 4 cloves of garlic in oil. Add a can of black beans (mostly drained) and heat for 5 minutes on medium low.
4) Combine the black beans and the potatoes and add some cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, cumin…
5) After peppers are cool, peel off the skin, cut open, and take out the seeds. Stuff the peppers with the potato mixture and top with a good melting cheese like Monterrey Jack. Bake in the cast iron skillet for 20 minutes.
6) Serve with rice. I think this is crucial to give the dish a little more body.